Scoutmaster Day 4 update

Saturday was a very busy day.  We got a fast breakfast so we could get out of camp as fast as possible.  As I have told the scouts, their parents didn’t pay for them to sit in camp during the day.

A lot of the scouts used their tokens to either ride down the almost mile long  BIG ZIP, or to do the Canopy tour, which is about 12 smaller zip lines through the trees.

Other scouts worked on merit badges.

I myself walked around and did some patch trading.  Then I visited the Natinal Eagle Scout Association booth and then visited the Duty to God tent and specifically visited the United Methodist Scouters booth.

We all had to be back in our site by 4:30 for dinner as we had our opening show.

Two scouts didn’t  make it to the show (they are both fine), they just hadn’t drank enough during the day and had pushed themselves just a little to hard.

The opening show had a great talk by Izzy Johnson.  Then some band played.

Other items that went on was the big schedule change for Monday.  If you haven’t heard President Trump will be visiting the Jamboree.  He will be only the 9 of the last 12 sitting presidents to visit the jamboree.  (In 1981 the president didn’t visit, I was disappointed).

Monday was also our scheduled day of service, so, we we not sure if that was going to be canceled or if we would end up missing the president.  We just found out on Sunday that our day of service is now on Tuesday so all scouts can see the president.  Some pics from the day.


What you do after a hard day while waiting for the show to start.

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Summer Camp 2015

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

What goes around comes around

Interesting how history repeats itself. Even with the little things. Like my own family. Growing up I remember going on our family vacations. The “big” trip ever summer was all of us going to New York to visit the grandparents. My mom’s parents. It was a grant time. Helping grandpa empty trash at the church. Determining that I did like tomatoes after having a cherry tomato. Going to the family property that was on the lake. Seeing all the historical sites. I remember those family trips. And then I remember when they ended. It would have been the summer of 1981. That was the summer of the National Scout Jamboree. It was sealed the following year when I started working at Camp Tee-Ton-Kaha, Boy Scout summer camp and attended the Maine National High Adventure base. My dad attending the high adventure bad with me. Aa great experience. We stopped in Stamford, New York at my Aunt and Uncles house where my Grandfather was living, on our way home. My mom met us there with my brother and sister. That would have been the last time of any type of summer family trip.

Fast forward to 2011. My oldest, Jennifer and I attend the Boy Scout High Adventure Base, Sea Base in the Florida Keys. We had a great time. After that trip we still had a family vacation to the beach as we have been doing for the last 10 years. This year, 2012, Jennifer went to Philmont. The Mecca high adventure base in New Mexico. The challenge was, see was at Philmont when our family trip was scheduled. So, this year, we did not have Jennifer with us at the beach. The family is growing. Jennifer is getting older. Before we know it she will be on her own. We have plans to go to the beach again for 2013. We hope she will be able to attend. But, thee is that slight chance she might not be able to. The reason is, she may have to work. This is her senior year of high school, and, she will need to start preparing for college. That also means finding a part time job to help pay for those cost.

History repeating itself. When I was Jennifer’s age I started working and attending scout camp and high adventure activities. Jennifer is now doing the same thing. Well, maybe not all the same things, but she is working on completing the Triple Crown Award, and that means attending high adventure bases when she can, which means she is and might in the future miss out on the family summer vacation activities.

The family is growing up. History is repeating itself. I am proud of my family. I am especially proud of Jennifer. I can’t wait to see her in a couple of hours to hear all about her Philmont experience.

Posted in Family | Leave a comment

“A week of camp life is…

“A week of camp life is worth six months of theoretical teaching in the meeting room.” — Sir Robert Baden-Powell, founder of Scouting

Quote | Posted on by | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

Genealogy – Private Conrad Becker – 7th Greatgrandfather of Jennifer Wokeck

Found information on our relative that was involved with the Revolutionary War.  This is how he is related to Jennifer

Private Conrad Becker (Baecker) served in 1776 as a private in Captain Yost Herbach’s Company of York County Militia.  His name appears on an undated payroll of a party of York County Militia who apprehended British deserters and prisoners and brought them to the stockade Fort.

Conrad Becker was born in 1729 in Germany and died in 1795.  He married Catren Lambert in 1754.  She died in 1804.

Their son, John (Becker) Baker was born December 17, 1785 in Lancaster PA and died March 21, 1840.  He married Magdalena Rummell in 1806.  She was born on December 4, 1789 and died in 1878.

Their son, Jacob Baker was born April 27, 1807 and died December 13, 1875.  He married Mary Magdalena Foust, September 10, 1837.  She was born March 17, 1818 and died July 1, 1883.

They had a daughter, Mary Magdalena Baker, born March 22, 1843 and died May 8, 1891. She had a son, Edward M. Clement.

Edward M. Clement married Mary Blanchard Clark.

They had a son, George E. Clement who married Mary Baller.  Mary ws born September 7, 1888.

George and Mary had 3 son’s and 2 daughters.  One of their daughters was Ione Verna Clement.  She was born on October 9, 1919 in Chalkbuts, Montana.  She married Kenneth Arthur Wokeck in September 1941.  Kenneth was born on February 27, 1921 in Chicago, Illinois.  He died on June 19, 1994.  Ione died January 25, 2001.

They had one son, Roland Kenneth Wokeck, and three daughters, Janice, Judy Lynn and Lauren Kay Wokeck.

Roland was born September 1, 1942.  He married Norma Jean Hunt in April 1965.  She was born on December 15, 1944 in Binghamton, NY.  They have 2 sons and one daughter.

I am the oldest son – Dennis.  I married my high school sweatheart, Lisa Marie West on September 5, 1987.  We have two daughters, Jennifer Marie  and Kaylee Jean and one son, Michael Dennis.

Jennifer is the oldest.  She is the 7th Great-grand daughter of Conrad Becker.

Posted in Family, Genelogy | Tagged , | Leave a comment

Getting Ready for Summer Camp

It is still hot outside and I still need to gather the last couple of items for summer camp.  There are the water coolers.  Cutting boards and knives.  Large spoon for stirring.  Camp Table and stove.  Any other camp gear that I have out in the shed and garage.  What am I forgetting?  I will prepack everything tomorrow and we shall see if I need to make any last minute runs to the store.  Will I be visiting REI?  The weather is questionable for this coming week.  The temperature is going to be nice – upper 70s and lower 80s.  The downside is that it might rain every day.  One site shows 70% chance of rain, but another is showing 30% chance.  Who do I believe.

Posted in Scouting | Leave a comment